The Twitter Sales Pitch

>> Thursday, December 11, 2008






Twitter has always been an amazing space for building networks, having great conversations, learning and establishing relationships with all kinds of people. But what I love most about Twitter is that it's real. It connects people. It put's faces in front of brands, and relationships before business. It opens doors, and eliminates gatekeepers. But what happens when people and companies start to take advantage of the purity of Twitter and turn it into something evil?

 I'm saddened because I really feel that Twitter is heading down this dark road. Over the last few weeks, I've been overwhelmed with TWAM. What is TWAM you ask? Its basically a word I use for companies that only use Twitter to shove their brands down our throats and pitch us every second they get. Its also the DMs I get right when I follow someone and they tell me to 1)recommend them to my followers 2)Check out their new SEO marketing tool, 3) read their new post, or 4) they respond with any other type of spammy marketing message. 
  
themediaisdying
themediaisdying Thanks for following us Eric! Can you retweet your followers and recommend us to them / let them know about us? Have a great day! 
PeterSantilli
PeterSantilli Nice to meet you! Please be sure to visit my world famous blog: http://www.petersantilli.com 


I was reading Mark Drapeau's post on "Banning brands on Twitter" today and it really got me thinking. On one hand, I agree. I think that too many companies are forgetting why Twitter exists and what it's purpose is: To connect people, foster relationships, and provide a place where people can share information with other people. It wasn't made for selling. Yes, sales do come from relationships built on Twitter, but that's not its main purpose; and a lot of companies are forgetting that. It's a scary thought that one day my Twitter feed will be filled with tweets from SEOs trying to throw keywords and marketing messages in my face, and the opportunity to meet a "real person" (who I can learn a great deal from) will become harder and harder. So before that happens, the social media side  of me says "Ban them all!"

Becky L
B_E_X @EricSchechter I hate stuff like that. Or "check out my website" As if before I follow I don't check them out. Very annoying. 
However, then I start to think about those brands that are doing it right and don't deserve to be banned. Brands like @pancheros, @pawluxury, and @izeainc. They aren't on Twitter to get you to buy a burrito, try new dog food, or signup for their service...They are there to meet people, share their thoughts on things other than their company, and help their current customers with any service issues they may be having.  These are the kinds of brands that get it and in turn are the brands I WOULD buy from, recommend to friends, and talk about in my posts. 

So if you are a company that is only on Twitter because you've heard its a great place to sell your product, and that is all you care about, feel free to follow me, but don't expect a follow back. If I do follow you and see this kind of activity expect an immediate Unfollow. I'm not here to listen to how great you are and why I need you so much. If you want my attention, try talking to me like a human being. Until then, you can take your Twitter Sales Pitch and shove it. 

-Eric


1 comments:

IZEA February 18, 2009 at 12:43 PM  

Awesome, awesome post! As I first started reading it I had my "professional" Twitter hat on (since I manage the @IZEAinc Twitter profile), and before I even saw the mention of us I said to myself, "I'm proud that I know that we do not spam people." We're very careful to maintain the "relationship" aspect of a social media application like Twitter.

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Free Blogger Templates Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP