Why Did I Switch Domains?

>> Thursday, May 21, 2009

Well, the reason is quite simple actually. The thing is, I’ve been blogging for the last two years, but there has always been one problem…it was for other people/businesses. For example, when I worked at Astonish Records I blogged for the record label, as well as the artists. At Endagon Innovations, I blogged for the majority of our clients (which consisted of small and large businesses). Now that I am the Social Media Manager at Clickbooth (a CPA Affiliate Network), I am the editor and main contributor to the company blog.



 Now don’t get me wrong. I loved blogging for the record label and my clients, and I LOVE running the Clickbooth blog, it’s just that I’ve never really blogged for myself (at least not consistently).



 Why does that matter?



 Well for one thing, by not having a space of my own these last couple of years, it has significantly hindered the growth of my personal brand, especially from an SEO standpoint. As it is right now, if you search for “Eric Schechter” in Google, the first result is a site owned by Eric Schechter, a math professor at Vanderbilt University, and none of my sites rank until the 6th or 7th result, which are my Brazen Careerist and Twitter profiles (totally unacceptable... I know!)





 That is why it is extremely important to me that I start doing every thing I can to help increase the exposure of my personal brand online, thus switching over to EricSchechter.com. My main goal right now is to claim the 1st spot on Google (for the term “Eric Schechter”) within the next 60 days (and I will make sure to keep all of you updated on my progress!). So you hear that, Eric Schechter, Math Professor at Vanderbilt University!?!? Better look out because I'm coming for ya! :-P 



 Another reason I switched the domain over is because, even though a lot of what I will be talking about on this blog pertains to social media marketing, it isn’t the ONLY thing I'm going to write about here. There are so many other things that interest me in the world such as music, technology, gen y marketing, psychology, and hell - even sports, that I wanted a place with no rules, only opportunities. With that said, I felt that branding this blog as The Social Media Man would limit myself as to what I could and could not post about. So I’m extremely excited to have this new platform where anything goes, and don’t worry…I have other plans for TheSocialMediaMan.com (which I will discuss in a future post). 



 So I know that building up my online presence is going to take a lot time, hard work, and patience, however, with passion comes perseverance, and that is one department I ain't lacking in ;-). So for now, I’m just going to take it one step at a time, and we’ll see how it goes.

 

 

0 comments:

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Free Blogger Templates Autumn Leaves by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP